Teen Volunteer Opportunities
Teen Volunteering Information
Thank you so much for signing up to be a volunteer here at Mamaroneck Public Library.
We are so excited to have you on board the Mamaroneck Library team and we hope to make this a rewarding, purposeful, and fun, volunteer experience. Below are the guidelines you must follow to be a volunteer.
- Mamaroneck teen volunteers must be between the ages of 14 and 18
- 12 or 13 year olds who wish to volunteer will be assigned at special events only
- Teens must fill out an application form each year they will be volunteering
- Teens must attend a training session to volunteer each year they will be volunteering
When Teens Can Apply for Volunteering
We are full for the Summer, but we have opportunities for volunteering at special events. To volunteer, click here.
- SUMMER May 1st to June 24th
- FALL August 1st to September 15th
Note: The window to sign up for Fall volunteering is now open! Please click here to sign up.
- SPRING December 1st to January 15th
- Teens must attend a mandatory one hour training session to volunteer
- Summer training session is in June/July
- Fall training session is in September
- Spring training session is in January
- In person training is preferred but virtual orientations will be available for those who can’t make it to the library
Teen Volunteers throughout the year
- Maximum number to enroll 5 – 8 teens per Fall/Spring
- Fall volunteering includes Oct./Nov./Dec.
- Spring volunteering includes Feb./March/April
- Serve once a week for 1-2 hours at a time
- There will be a waitlist-if one teen doesn’t need to continue, I will go to the next person on the list to see if they can take their place
Summer Teen Volunteers
- We will accept up to 20 volunteers for the summer – first come, first serve who register and attend the training session
- Teens can sign up from May to June only
- During the summer, teens will serve in shifts of 1 hour min-2 hours max.
- Depending on the amount of volunteers, teens can volunteer max. 2 times a week (4 hours a week)
- No waitlist-but can be put on generic volunteer list for bigger events
Virtual Volunteer Options
|Virtual Volunteer Opportunity
||Community Service Hours
|Write a review
||We have a teen blog on the website. We would like some book reviews written by teens. Reviews must include a synopsis of the book as well as a paragraph giving your honest opinion about it. Reviews must be at least 250 words. You may also review a teen appropriate movie (G, PG, PG-13). Rate the book out of five, 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest. Click here to fill out the book review form https://forms.gle/FcP643t69tQGm5fm8
||Two Reviews= 1 Hour
Max: 5 hours/month
||Pick a topic and create a book list that includes titles relevant to that topic that are available at Mamaroneck Library. Minimum of 10 titles for each list. Lists must be approved before awarded hours. Click here to fill out the Book List form. https://forms.gle/5cdM8sDC5U425Ao29
||Two Book Lists=1 Hour
Max: 5 hours/month
||Have an idea for a library program? Fill out the form below explaining your program idea. Approved ideas will get 2 hours of community service.
We will be in touch with you to discuss the possibility of you doing this project at the library. More hours will be awarded to teens who run the program.
|Min 2 hours
||Create a short video talking about a book and why people should read it. The video will be posted across Mamaroneck Public Library’s social media platforms.
||Create a video to advertise and promote a book. The video will be posted across Mamaroneck Public Library’s social media platforms.
||Using a program like PowerPoint, Canva, or Word, create a snapshot for a book. Include the cover of the book as well as the title and author. Use your creativity to design the slide that lets people know what the book is about without writing too much. Book Snaps will be used on our Instagram account.
||2 Snaps=1 Hour
|Color A Smile
||Color A Smile is a nonprofit organization that distributes cheerful drawings to Senior Citizens, Our Troops Overseas, and anyone in need of a smile.
Every month they mail thousands of new drawings to all the people on our mailing list. Certificates acknowledging any credits earned will be e-mailed as a PDF document. Please allow one week for processing of a community service certificate. https://colorasmile.org/
In Person Teen Volunteering
Teen Advisory Group
Teens in grades 6-12 help us plan and come up with ideas for future programs, suggest books and movies to add to our collection and provide input about what they want the teen room to look like. We meet on zoom once a month to chat about the library and hear suggestions from teens like you about what they want to see at the library. We do offer community service hours for attending meetings because they are such a big help to us. Register for our next meeting on our website. 1 Hour for attending each meeting.
Attending Library Programs
We offer programs that will earn teens community service hours for attending. Check our calendar for more information about when these events are.
Other Volunteering opportunities