Mamaroneck Public Library
WiFi Hotspot Lending Program: Information and Guidelines
What is a hotspot?
WiFi hotspots are internet access points that allow you to connect to a WiFi network using your computer., smartphone, or another device while away from your home or office network. These mobile devices use cellular data connection to create a strong WiFi signal.
The Mamaroneck Public Library offers WiFi hotspots that can be checked out, free of charge, by Mamaroneck patrons who are Mamaroneck Public Library cardholders in good standing. Patrons wishing to check out WiFi hotspots must read and sign the User Agreement provided by the Library.
- Hotspots are available to Mamaroneck Public Library cardholders
- Patrons must be 18 years of age or older to borrow a hotspot. If a patron under the age of 18 wishes to borrow a hotspot, they must have a parent’s signature on the User Agreement together with the parent’s library card number.
- The User Agreement may be complete online HERE, or in person at the Reference Desk.
- Patrons may borrow one hotspot, per household, at a time. Patrons found to be in violation of this rule will have their hotspot borrowing privileges suspended.
- Hotspots may be borrowed for up to 21 days at a time. If a hotspot is not turned in by the due date give at checkout, it will be overdue.
- Overdue hotspots accrue late fees and the hotspot service will be deactivated remotely.
- Hotspots will be checked out at the Reference Desk. Hotspots and their accompanying accessories will be provided in a bag containing all necessary equipment and instructions.
- All items will be inspected by staff and the borrowing patron at the same time of checkout to ensure that all items are present and in acceptable condition.
- A complete hotspot ‘kit’ consists of the following items:
- Charging Cord
- Information Sheets
- Hotspots must be returned within their provided bag and all accessories to the Reference Desk.
- All items will be inspected at time of check in to ensure that all items are present and in acceptable condition.
Lost or Damaged Items
- Patrons are responsible for any damage or loss of hotspots or accessories while they are checked out.
- Lost or damaged items will be charged to the patron according to the following:
- Hotspot: $100
- Charging Cord: $10
- Carrying Bag: $5
- If a hotspot is kept beyond its due date, the patron will accrue fines to on their account at the rate of $2.00 per day with a maximum fine of $20.00
- Why isn’t the hotspot working? Hotspots must be turned on to work. If the hotspot is not turning on, it may need to be charged before use. The charging cable is provided in each hotspot bag distributed by the Mamaroneck Public Library. The hotspot may be used while plugged in. Turning it off when it is not in use will save battery life.
- How do I connect to the hotspot? Please see the “Connect to your Hotspot” guide located in the hotspot bag.
- I want to keep my hotspot longer, why isn’t it working anymore? The hotspot service is disabled if it is kept past its due date. Please return the hotspot even if it is past due and the service is disabled.
- What is the WiFi name? The WiFi name follows the following format “MAMHotSpot_####” and is unique to each hotspot. The exact name for the hotspot WiFi name will be provided in each hotspot bag.
- What is the password? Passwords are unique to each device and are located in each hotspot bag. Please type this password exactly as it is shown.
- Can multiple devices connect to my hotspot? Yes, up to 10 devices may be connected to the hotspot at one time.
- Can I renew my hotspot? No, hotspots cannot be renewed. A patron may checkout a hotspot again after 48 hours.
- Where can I use the hotspot? The hotspot service is provided by T-Mobile and will only work within T-Mobile coverage areas in the U.S. Mamaroneck is within an area fully covered by T-Mobile.
- If a hotspot is prompted to update software or firmware, what should I do? The hot spot will periodically receive updates from the service provider. You can accept the update.