Founded in a storefront on the Post Road in 1923 with about 800 books, the Mamaroneck Public Library was funded by individuals, businesses, and local organizations in response to the slogan, ‘Mamaroneck is not a fit place to live in until it has a library.’ With the donation of a plot of land and funds from benefactors, a new building was constructed on the present site and opened in 1927. By 1966, a new wing added 7,200 square feet for the present reading and reference rooms and Children’s library was constructed. This was soon followed by the addition of the Emelin Theatre, then a part of the library, with a common lobby and an expansion of the lower level of the library. By 1987, another wing was added on a parcel of land purchased from the Christian Science Church.
Excerpt taken from Celebration: Village of Mamaroneck Centennial 1895-1995, edited by Mary P. LoGiudice.
In 2008 another construction project was started to renovate and expand the library. This project was finished in the summer of 2011.
The Mamaroneck Library’s Photo Archive
Mamaroneck Library, in conjunction with the Larchmont Historical Society, is proud to present a gallery of historic photos that are available for browsing online.